Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Storybook Topics

Topic: Bengali Folktales
Topic Comments
: I saw this unit in the Un-Textbook and got excited about it because it contained the word "Bengali". I am from Bangladesh and people from Bangladesh are called Bengali. Hence, I was attracted to this topic right away. I know some of the stories, but not all of them. I want to read this unit as I would like to know all the stories. 
Possible Stories: The stories on the Bengali Folktales unit at the Un-Textbook look really fun and I want to read all of them. I found more stories online. It contains all of the stories from Un-Textbook and then some. It is from Project Gutenberg.
Sample Story: The story I want to use is A Ghostly Wife. The story is very similar to some horror movies we see, but it is common in my home country for these things to happen. It happened to my grandmother, and when I heard about it, it was really scary. So this story brought back some old memories. I read this story at the Un-Textbook.
Bibliography Information: 
Sample Story: A Ghostly Wife
Book Title: Folk-Tales of Bengal
Book Author: Lal Behari Day
Year: 1912

Illustration by Warwick Goble.
Source: A Ghostly Wife


Topic: Aesop's Fables
Topic Comments: I love the Fables found in the two units. I have read three units so far. Will be reading the fourth after I finish this assignment. My two stories are based on these Fables. The Fables are fun to read, and as a bonus, are really short. I like the lesson each provides as they are all good lessons for everyone to know.
Possible Stories: I have lots of choices as there are four units. I have read almost all of them already, so this might be something that I do.
Sample Story: The Cat, the Cock, and the Young Mouse.  I loved the lesson this story provided more than anything else. The lesson was very powerful: Do not trust alone to outward appearances.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Cat, the Cock, and the Young Mouse
Book Title: Aesop for Children
Book Author: Milo Winter
Year: 1919

Topic: Modern Cryptids (Supernatural Creatures)
Topic Comments: I love supernatural things. They are not real, but I am fascinated by their stories and origins. The Chupacabra and Big Foot are the biggest cryptids in the modern era so far. There are always some news stories that pop up about how someone sighted one of them somewhere. I really want to write some stories about them.
Possible Stories: I have lots of choices to choose from in the list by Wikipedia.
Sample Story: A story about Big Foot would be my first and most detailed story as I've been hearing about Big Foot for a long time. There are many "sighting" stories in Wikipedia to choose from.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Bigfoot
Website Name: Wikipedia

Topic: Ghost Stories - Indian
Topic Comments: The stories that I found in search of this topic are fantastic. I want to read the stories in great detail if I choose this topic to do the storybook over.
Possible Stories: There are many different stories in the Indian Ghost Stories book by S. Mukerji. Other stories can be found after searching online. For example, the Bhangarh Fort is regarded as the most haunted place in India.
Sample Story: The Boy Who Was Caught.  I loved the lesson this as it brought back some memories of my childhood. Me and my friends used to do stupid things all the time, including dares or challenges. This story is about a boy who is challenging his friends about the existence of ghosts. 
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Boy Who Was Caught
Book Title: Indian Ghost Stories: Second Edition
Book Author: S. Mukerji
Year: 1917


No comments:

Post a Comment