Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Reading Diary B: Native American Hero Tales

My favorite stories from the Native American Hero Tales unit by Stith Thompson are:

The Jealous Uncle. This was a very interesting story. It was one of my favorite because of its payback nature. I loved the ending. It was a little weird to start off with, and I didn't quite get the meaning of the title. But I liked the style the story was told in. A boy, his mom and dad, and his uncle are the main characters. There are some good descriptive words used to describe the scenes. I will look at those carefully to describe the scene in my story.

The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle. Lots of descriptive words used in this story. It provided the reason behind the existence of the mountains. This unit gets kind of confusing sometimes, but it starts to make sense toward the end. I might have my readers experience the same thing :) You might have to read the ending for it to make sense. A men send by the God is the main character. The elk and the eagle are the other characters. The two scenes described here are very interesting. I might do the story this way. 

Picture depicting an elk. 

Dug-From-Ground. This was my second least favorite. Mainly because it was kind of confusing. I didn't quite get how the baby was dug from the ground. That baby which turned into a man, along with its mother and grandmother are the main characters. I will not likely to do my story on this or the other story for this unit. The two above are my choices for this unit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment