Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Native American Hero Tales

My favorite stories from the second unit of Native American Hero Tales unit by Stith Thompson are:

The Son-in-Law Tests. This was an interesting story. A father, his daughter, and his son-in-law are the characters in this story. I bet every father wants to put their son-in laws through the tests this father put his son-in-laws through. This story had good details about the settings of the story and each scene. The tests are well explained. The tests seem interesting and I might use them as some sort of games in my story. In the end, the father died from trying to kill his current son-in-law, and he became a pike.

Picture depicting a pike.


Dirty-Boy. There are lots of descriptive words used in this story. It was described so nicely that I thought I was there actually watching it happen. I will try to use those words to describe my characters. I felt the story had a hidden message: don't judge someone based on appearance. Two girls, their father, and the star and the sun are the main characters.

The Jealous Father. A father, his son, and his two wives are the main characters of this story. All the stories tend to have a character try to kill another, this one was no different. The incident where the father tries to kill the son was described very nicely. This story had some sort of magic associated with it, that was why it was one of my favorite. I might add some sort of magic to my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment