Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Reading Diary A: American Indian Fairy Tales

My favorite stories from the American Indian Fairy Tales unit by Henry Schoolcraft  are:

Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind. This was a pretty interesting story. I like the storytelling style. A story teller is telling the stories to some kids. A man named Shin-ge-bis and the North Wind are the main characters of this story. The North Wind is depicted as a mean old man. He is the reason for the cold weather. Shin-ge-bis is shown as a brave person who takes on the North Wind. The battle was really interesting. In the end, the North Wind is defeated. This story came about when the wind was blowing during the storytelling session held by the story teller. That approach seemed really interesting to me. There was even a message in the end: Cheerfulness and courage can overcome even the North Wind.

Picture depicting the North Wind.

The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds. This was one of my favorite purely because of all the descriptive words used to describe the forest. It felt like I was there. When I write this week's story, I might use some those words to describe my story settings. The story itself is very nice also. A boy and a girl along with some animals are the main character. A worm is the main character out the animals. He climbs a high mountain when bigger animals have failed. This was another sort of message. 

The Child of the Evening Star. This was a real long story. It wasn't one of my favorite, but since this unit is only three stories long, I included it here. There are lots of characters, with two being the main ones. It was interesting but a little boring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment