Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Reading Diary B: Brothers Grimm (Crane)

My favorite stories from the second unit of the Brother's Grimm unit by Lucy and Walter Crane are:

The Six Swans. A king, his daughter, and sons are the main characters.
Another king is the other main character.
Involved some witchery from one of the queens.
The six brothers turned into swans.
That made the story quite interesting as the sister went through a silent journey to fix her brothers.
I liked how the sister successfully finished it.
I was a little confused about what happened to the father (the first king). The story just leaves him out towards the end when the daughter starts her journey.
I might have a grand reunion for all of them.

Illustration by Walter Crane from The Six Swans.

King Thrushbeard. This was a great story! A king, his daughter, and another king are the main characters.
The daughter was way too proud of herself. The way she rejected everyone was funny though. 
The other king had a plan to bring her down to earth. 
I had a feeling the beggar was King Thrushbeard.  
The ending was beautifully set up. 

Snow-White. I always liked the story of Snow-White. It gets more interesting every time I read it.
Good details throughout the story.
I was wondering how the king does not realize his daughter is missing?
He marries a second wife, but does not care for his daughter anymore?
Thankfully, the seven dwarfs were not evil and brought back Snow-White to life even though she was dumb every time.
The story had a nice and a happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment